[Rhodes22-list] Curious About Your Rhodes Choice Stories

Rob Granger rgranger at sbc.edu
Thu Oct 20 12:58:46 EDT 2011

Well I have not even picked mine up yet and it won't be sailable for some
time but I do have a story.

I am a recovering  "bigger-boat-aholic" and last season moved down from a
lake locked Coronado 25' to a MacGregor 22.  I now know that I am a trailer
sailor at heart.  So I got the MacGregor.   It is easy to launch, big enough
to overnight on, fun to sail etc.  BUT I have chartered Stan's Rhodes in the
past and know what an awesomely well built boat it is.  And if you want to
feel safe taking a 22' boat out in the Atlantic on longer cruises, a well
built "unsinkable" roomy 22' boat like the Rhodes is the way to go over a
MacGregor.  The hull on the Mac is less than 0.25" thick, and flexes
constantly while under sail.  I would be terribly worried about being caught
in a squall on that boat.  Especially with my kids on board,  not so much on
a Rhodes.  So last week I saw a great deal on a Rhodes and purchased it.
Now I just have to fix it up and go sailing.