[Rhodes22-list] Curious About Your Rhodes Choice Stories

Chris Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Sat Oct 22 00:19:51 EDT 2011

I had been sailing for about 10 years. I sailed 6 years all over Italy and
Greece on an open cockpit 18 Lightning and the rest on the Chesapeake.  When
my wife and I got married in Annapolis 38 years ago we took all the "wedding
money" and invested it in a small new 13' O'day widgeon.  We kept it for a
couple of years always going to the boat show (we lived one creek over on
Back Creek talking to Stan and Rose (those crazy kids back then), and
finally bought a brand new 1976 Rhodes Continental 22 for $5,000.  I knew
small boats and I knew what I wanted at it was the Rhodes.  I kept that boat
for almost 20 years, raising my son on it even before he could walk.   Our
family sailed every where on the Chesapeake and to the Bahamas.  I moved out
to the west coast and had to sell it. (I still wonder where it is).  A
couple of boatless years and my wife ordered me to get a Rhodes 22,
regardless of price, as long as it was not over 3K.  Stan did not have any
like that but long story short I picked up a project boat in Baltimore and
brought it back to Oregon.  The boat was less than 3K (uh the trailer and
truck did bring up the outlay some but I kept the cost of the boat as agreed
upon).  The Sacramento Delta, Baha, the San Juans several times and
Desolation sound all courtesy of my Rhodes.  Over all these years we could
have easily "upgraded" to a larger boat.  Neither of us had any desire.  We
will be retiring in a couple of years and plan to live on a 38' catamaran.
Alice is trying to figure out if a Rhodes is just a large dingy we can tow
behind the boat. Regardless, I will keep my Rhodes until I die and they can
burry me in it.

Chris G