[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes22-list Digest, Vol 2696, Issue 1

Chris Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Tue Oct 25 00:20:15 EDT 2011

Sounds tempting Rusty. Grin

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of Rusty Gesner
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 9:59 AM
To: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Rhodes22-list Digest, Vol 2696, Issue 1

Mark, Michael, Chris,

Thanks for your quick replies.

To clarify, we're in Portland Oregon, but most used Rhodes 22s seem to
be on the east coast :(

If we buy one on the east coast, we would need to transport the boat
just one time to Portland OR where we would keep it forevermore.

Of course, Chris could save us the trouble and just make us a good
deal on Enosis when he retires to his 38' cat in two years, instead of
keeping it to be buried in. Heck, I'd even trade it back to him for
the cat when I'm ready to retire and go cruising in about 10 years ;-)

 - Rusty

>   8. More newbie questions (Rusty Gesner)
>   9. Re: More newbie questions (Chris Geankoplis)
>  10. Re: More newbie questions (Michael D. Weisner)
>  12. Re: More newbie questions (Mark Osterbrock)

<snip><snip>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 22:17:41 -0700
> From: "Chris Geankoplis" <napoli68 at charter.net>
> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] More newbie questions
> To: "'The Rhodes 22 Email List'" <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
>
> Where on the west coast?

<snip><snip>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 10
> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 08:38:48 -0400
> From: "Michael D. Weisner" <mweisner at ebsmed.com>
> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] More newbie questions
> To: "'The Rhodes 22 Email List'" <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
>
> Hi Rusty,
>
> How much time does it take to raise the mast, rig, and launch?
>        We used to raise the standard mast (not IMF), rig and launch
>        in less than an hour when we were younger (25 years ago) with
>        a crew of 3 to 4.  Nowadays, it's just me and the admiral once
>        a season and we splash in about two hours, sometimes faster.
>        We also have started raising and rigging at our mooring because
>        of overhead wires near the ramp.  IMF configurations do not take
>        appreciably more time, provided that you have the mast raising
>        crane or a few strong crew members. Two hours should cover all.
>
> How much time to haul out and ready for travel?
>        If the tide is near high (north shore of Long Island) you simply
>        sail onto the trailer (use the motor, it's easier), collapse the
>        trailer tongue extension, and de-rig.  About the same time as
>        setting up, sometimes a bit faster.
>
> We'd have to move it from the east coast to the west coast, and would like
> some advice and opinions on the most cost efficient way to do so:
> Drive round trip and trailer it (takes a LOT of time)?
> Ship boat and trailer on a flatbed truck or rail car?
> Fly and rent a U-Haul (or whoever) and trailer it back (if U-Haul or
whoever
> even allows you to haul other than their own trailers?)?
>
>        I would not want to regularly haul a Rhodes 22 back and forth.
>        Why not buy two and keep one on each coast? Rob Lowe has an
>        excellent deal on a used R22 and they are not that hard to find.
>        It's probably cheaper to own 2 and store one basically all year
>        (half year on each coast) than it would cost to ship.
>
> Mike
> s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
> Nissequogue River, NY

<snip><snip>