[Rhodes22-list] Week 1 Desolation Sound

Chris Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Sat Sep 10 14:43:57 EDT 2011

Ah Lee,	I thought you wanted the second course, you hadn't even been served
the appetizer yet (it was under the napkin?).

Low side mileage was around 5 miles; high side was an easy 35 miles.  Most
were 10 to 15 miles if that.  We took it easy and often had to wait for the
tide so we would anchor and explore. Most of the places we anchored had
sedimentary material on the bottom.  It was sand/gravel and occasional mud
but that really was glacial in origin and pretty good holding.  I use a
Bruce anchor and sometimes the heavy Danforth.  We picked our spots with
care so we could have good holding, even if on a steep up hill pull.

No special equipment other than some warm cloths and raingear and a 1/2 inch
yoga mat attached to the port hull with Velcro for insulation on the table
bed.  We did carry a lot of extra anchor line and some 200 ft of climbing
rope which we used for a shore line.  Next time I will bring at least that
much but it will be yellow poly rope so it will float and be seen easily so
I don't clothesline some poor dinghy driver in the twilight.  Most of the
local boats use this kind of line.  It might be easier to just borrow my
boat, no matter how fast you can drive from your place!
Chris