[Rhodes22-list] Mast Step Popped

David Craft chsyhkr at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 17:44:50 EDT 2011

While setting our mast at a local lake the mast step popped off with the
screws somewhat stripped.  We reset it and raised it carefully figuring that
the weight would help hold it.

While taking it down, it popped again, necessitating the repair I expected
when it popped the first time.

The boat is a 89, recycled in 08.

The step is secured with three 1 inch screws.   I am thinking of drilling
out the holes, repairing with epoxy,  drilling new pilot holes, and
resetting.   I have heard suggestions from inserting lugs to drilling all
the way through and using bolts and nuts.  The wall for the head is a
support below the step, so drilling through is not advisable.  Can longer
screws be used?

Advice is appreciated as I need to make this repair in the next two weeks.

--
Regards,

David B. Craft
Greensboro, NC