[Rhodes22-list] Dennis Frappier's Question

Stephen Staum snstaum at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 08:00:54 EDT 2011

I agree w/ Chris on the viability of the old simple system.  I lost 2
forestays (one broke under sail, the other just frayed) before learning of
the need to keep constant tension on the rigging.  As long as your aft stays
are pulled tight w the tensioner, the forestay lasts for many years.

The beauty of the old system is that it never jams.  As long as you don't
allow the furling line to unravel and slip under the baseplate (let it slide
through you fingers as you open the genny rather than just let it go) you
never have to go forward to mess with it.  Simple is often better.

Sail more, fix less.

Stephen Staum
87 R22, Carol Lee
Needham, MA