[Rhodes22-list] Battery Advice

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Mon Apr 2 11:00:57 EDT 2012

Need some battery advice.

Probably should have replaced my battery long ago.  When I need to
pull-start my outboard in the marina it usually recharges the battery enough
that I can use the electric start when I'm ready to come in.  Didn't happen
yesterday.  By the time I unscrewed everything to get to the flywheel I was
dangerously close to running into the causeway rip-rap.

Easy answer would be to replace the battery with the one Stan put in.
Wasn't sure if there was something better out there now.  I've got the
electric motor winch which I assume uses a ridiculous amount of juice.  I
have one battery hardwired to the motor which is linked to a second house
battery.  Both batteries are linked to two solar panels.

I've taken zero care of the batteries since I bought the boat seven years
ago.

Should I be concerned about the solar panels overcharging the batteries?

Should I periodically charge the batteries to full capacity?

Any advice on what battery would be best and what care it needs?

Thanks!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD