[Rhodes22-list] Battery Advice

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Apr 3 09:53:06 EDT 2012

Rob,

Great website with an incredible amount of information.  It's amazing what I
know and don't know about batteries now.  :)

Looks like I can forget about checking amps.

Looks like my battery gave a "false capacity" because it was dead.

To summarize, I should ensure my voltage remains between 12.06 and 12.42,
approximately.

Thanks!

Lee

Lee,
If you had 13.4 volts on a battery not being actively charged, something
doesn't sound right with that battery.  A fully charged battery should be
around 12.7 volts. But then you did say your battery was dead.

State of Charge 	12 Volt battery 	Volts per Cell
100% 			12.7 			2.12
90% 			12.5 			2.08
80% 			12.42 		2.07
70% 			12.32 		2.05
60% 			12.20 		2.03
50% 			12.06 		2.01
40% 			11.9 			1.98
30% 			11.75 		1.96
20% 			11.58 		1.93
10% 			11.31 		1.89
0 			10.5 			1.75

Much more on batteries, should you care to read.  I agree a group 27 deep
cycle is appropriate for our boats.  Gel and AGM might require less
maintenance, but they are costly. - rob

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Top