[Rhodes22-list] Holes in the Hull and Brown Recluse Spiders

Goodness spreadgoodnews at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 16:52:51 EDT 2012

Once i docked my sailboat (not a rhodes, but sold it to buy a Rhodes :-) ) at a friends house. Unknown to me His dock was infested with spiders.  I didnt have much sailing time so about 2 months later i get a frantic call from his wife that my boat is sinking in the rainstorm.  I rush over to find the cockpit full of water, the aft of the boat nearly pooped.  I took a bucket and jumped on board ( bad idea) the boat rolled.......i held onto the mast.....the boat rolled its rail under then slowly rolled back upright. Phew!  I bailed like a maniac. And got her floating on her lines.  Down below the batteries were exhausted from running the bilge pump and there was a foot of water inside!
It seemed the spiders had spun so many webs that all of the scuppers and drainlines were so completely stopped up, that i had to replace the hoses!  The boat had thousands of spider egg cases!  The engine wouldnt run because they had stopped up the air intake. Spiders and boats dont mix.