[Rhodes22-list] Boom Tents

cover-man at comcast.net cover-man at comcast.net
Thu Apr 26 14:16:26 EDT 2012

Butterchurn,
Having worked with or seen most variations of a boom tent, I designed and refined an enclosure, aka boomroom, and built every one on this basis:

It must meld with the pop-top, whether up or down.
It must be sturdy enough to keep fabrics tight and the framework rigid in wind and storm conditions.
It must conform to the hull lines, both for appearance and for stable behavior while at anchor.
It must provide for variable and practical use as a sun shield with many ways to deploy a variety of curtains and screens, some with insulated multiple layered fabric (early and late season sailing).
It must be able to act as a wind scoop for ventilation, whether the boat is bow to or stern to the wind.
It must be made easy to change the curtains, on and off, or from fabric to screen.
It must have frame and frame fixtures of SS, for strength, durability, and corrosion resistance. Aluminum and/or PVC will not qualify.
It must have fabrics of highest quality available but have some ability to breathe, Sunbrella quality, but not vinyl (a boomroom can become like a hothouse otherwise).
It must have components which are easy to be assembled or dis-assembled (15-30 minutes).
It must have the fewest possible boomroom bundles which are easy to carry or store as necessary and made easy and logical to prepare for assembly (unconfusing).
It must have a durability and longevity that will provide for the longest possible service life (built for quality without compromise).
It must provide easy movement between the cabin and enclosed cockpit with unhampered headroom from front to back.
It must provide for remote interior cockpit lighting (safe movement within the boomroom).
It must provide for safe access to the deck and transom.
It must provide these features and be affordable too, most important (and why I agreed to start making boomrooms in '05)!

I may have left out a few points, but nothing critical. If anyone claims to best these combined standards, suggest a visit to the shrink. I could not without many years of valuable production time and experience. The benefit of boomrooming is simple - transforming a daysailer (maybe an overnight camper) into a longer range pocket cruiser with about three times the useful livable footprint (with PTE).

Are you asleep yet?

Art
s/v Mary Janes