[Rhodes22-list] Boat Insurance

peter klappert peterklappert at comcast.net
Tue Aug 21 14:57:37 EDT 2012

Lee Kuhn & I just had an off-list exchange, part of which might be of interest to others. So this is cut & paste:

The lightning damage to my boat was covered by Progressive & they were very prompt; the dock electrical damage was covered as part of my property insurance by Citizens, and that was even quicker. In both cases I only "chose" the companies because USAA required it. That is, USAA requires you to have all your insurance with them if you want a USAA umbrella, and they in turn farm out boat & Florida property insurance.

(Prompt or not, I still had to absorb $1500 in deductibles.)

Funny coincidence--which is what it is: I just got a letter from Progressive telling me my boat insurance premium has gone down. I originally hestitated to file a claim out of fear I'd send the premium up! Maybe I should tell the list about my good experiences.

(Which I just did.)