[Rhodes22-list] self righting factors

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Thu Aug 23 14:11:53 EDT 2012

Hi richard,
The definition of self righting that I have seen most often says that
if a boat rolls completely, it will right itself again. My guess is
that a properly sealed up R22 would self right if it was in deep
enough water so that the mast would not catch on the bottom (more than 30 ft.)

The right (or wrong) combination of wind and waves will capsize any
boat. In the capsize I mentioned (I really have to find time to dig
out that account) I remember Paul described strong winds pushing a
wall of water from the stern quarter (they had no time to react) and
the combined wind and waves were what capsized his boat. If I
remember correctly, reports from the area had winds in excess of 90
mph. In Joe's case, the companionway hatch blew out and the interior
may well have filled with water when wind laid the boat on her side.
A turtled Rhodes 22 may stay turtled due to the mast sticking in the
mud in the shallow areas many of us sail in but won't sink due to the
flotation. It has been hypothesized that a turtled R22 might stay
turtled due to the weight of water in the IMF mast but I don't recall
any actual accounts of that happening.

I think under most severe conditions, a R22 will behave as you
describe. In hurricane force winds or a tornado, that may not be the case.

Best,
Mary Lou
R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD