[Rhodes22-list] bumped : capsize discussion continued, masthead float?

Mike C hmcheung57 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 09:28:37 EDT 2012

Sorry if this is an inappropriate bump, but the quotes and reply chain were
getting kind of long.

First regarding capsizes.  I really do think the Rhodes 22 qualifies as self
righting, but in shallow water any sailboat can be "screwed" by having her
mast stick in the mud.  Even flooded, I would expect the Rhodes to right
herself.  To stay capsized, the boat has to be stable upside down or held
(like by a mast stuck in the mud).  Upside down, even a flooded Rhodes would
have the ballasted keel sticking up and any perturbation would let that keel
seek a lower position, righting the boat.

As for the intriguing idea of using a masthead float, especially an
inflatable one; see

http://www.grabner-sports.at/Masthead-float.1675.0.html?&L=2

Don't know if you could get one shipped to the US, but it's been done.

Lastly, for those on a mooring or just those worried about a capsize; a poor
man's float could be easily made using a 5 gallon bucket with a tight
fitting lid hoisted up the mast with a halyard.  Coincidentally, the volume
of the inflatable float the link above points to is 20 liters, just about 5
gallons.  If a little more volume were desired, your local homebrewers store
will have 7 gallon buckets and lids.  However those lids will be drilled for
an airlock!  That's a small hole, easily sealed up.  How much volume is
actually needed?  I don't know, it could be estimated if the forces at work
in pushing the mast down could be calculated or estimated.  The force that
the bucket provides is about the density of water times the volume, so like
40 lbf for the 5 gallon bucket and 56 lbf for the 7 gallon bucket.

-----
Mike Cheung
s/v Muireann