[Rhodes22-list] bumped : capsize discussion continued, masthead float?

PBR pbryanriley at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 12:50:06 EDT 2012

When boat shopping I looked to the Rhodes for the "unsinkable" aspect
for safety, primarily as a selling point for my wife.  I remember
asking Stan about capsizability (while sailing, not moored) and came
away pretty confident that it wouldn't happen to me because it would
take both a big wave and big wind combination and I didn't expect any
big waves in my small lake sailing.  I believe he said the only time
he was aware of a Rhodes 22 Mast being pointed down was in a
hurricane.  However, I do remember him saying that if I was concerned
about it I could have a spare halyard and I could just run a spare
life jacket or fender up the Mast (when conditions warranted).  A
small amount of force would stop it from turtling.
-PBR