[Rhodes22-list] Pop top slider and IMF mast

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Fri Aug 24 15:00:01 EDT 2012

This is the first year I've owned a boat with the IMF, and I forgot to install the slider when raising the mast.  Da List advice was to drop the mast to install the slider, but I was too lazy to do so, especially in the slip on the water.  So I pondered it a bit and decided to cut a slot in the mast.  I figured the standard main had a slot for the gooseneck, so why not the IMF?  In deciding the location, I didn't want to put it in the travel path of the slider (so it wouldn't fall out unexpectedly), didn't want to interfere with the IMF function, and didn't want to comprise the strength of the mast.  Attached are photos of what I came up with.  I put the cut at the very base of the mast.  It's below the normal travel path and is not in an area of the mast where there is any bending moment.  The mast at this point is entirely resting on the mast through bolt and the edge of the mast.

To install, I put the slider against the mast and rested the bottom on the top of the cabin and marked the top (black marks in the photo) and the outside edges.  Now cutting was a pain.  I used a bare hacksaw blade held in my hands since I brought a regular hacksaw and there wasn't room for it.  A handle that allows one end of the blade to be exposed would have been helpful.  I didn't have to cut all the way to the marks since you can sort of wedge the slider up and in at some point.

With the pop top now attached, the slider sits even higher up the mast so it doesn't catch on the slot.  I'll take a picture of the installed slider tomorrow.  Best part of this I didn't have to drop the mast and now I can install or remove the slider at any time.

Rob
S/V (still no name)
1992 Rhodes 22