[Rhodes22-list] Sail balance and pointing.

Goodness spreadgoodnews at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 16:49:23 EDT 2012

I think you need about 200 pounds.
Ideas:
1:  Scrap automotive wheel weights in nylon bags.
2:  concrete bags.
3:  a new bank of deep cycle batteries (my option)
4:  custom water tanks.  One of the best ideas i have heard lately is one  made from 12" pvc pipe and end caps.
You can also get water bladder tanks.

Keep the weight low and secure.

On Aug 27, 2012, at 4:19 PM, Shawn Boles <shawn.sustain at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Thanks for this advice.So roll in jib to ca. 75%?.  I have ca. 10 gal in
> water tank (ca. 80-90 pounds). - How much more ballast do I need? What are
> you using for ballast?  What about pointing - how high can you point with
> this configuration? Sorry to be obtuse.
>
> Cheers,
> Shawn
>
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Goodness <spreadgoodnews at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Roll in your jib a bit.  Add ballast behind v berth where water tank is.
>>

>> On Aug 27, 2012, at 3:36 PM, Shawn Boles <shawn.sustain at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All:
>>>
>>> Ok, I now have a few hours at the tiller in varying wind conditions.
>>> Despite advice from Leland and others  about how to balance the sails
>> under
>>> differing conditions, I still feel that I am not doing a good job of
>>> sailing Sweet Baboo to her potential. Specifically:
>>>
>>> 1. I cannot seem to get rid of lee helm w/o substantial heeling (> 20
>>> degrees). in winds > 10-12 mph (boom in lower slot -  genoa  at 115%,
>> outer
>>> track). Adjusting the fair leads makes little difference...
>>> 2. I sailed with Genoa at 100%,boom in lower slot, Genoa sheets in cabin