[Rhodes22-list] Sail balance and pointing.

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Mon Aug 27 17:06:59 EDT 2012

Shawn,

Can't remember what I told you last time.  Hope this response is similar.
I'm going to answer all three questions with the assumption that you want to
close-haul beat into the wind as much as possible.

1.  Even with the boom down, you might want to consider furling in your
mainsail to about 80%.  Probably isn't necessary but in a 10-12 mph wind it
wouldn't hurt.  Definitely furl in that Genoa to 100% or less.  Lower the
centerboard if you haven't.  Not only will it help point you into the wind
it will keep you from drifting downwind.  It will add a little heel so if
you're much over 15 degrees you may need to reef both sails some more.  MOST
important you want both sails as tight as possible.  You may need to pull
the boom to the center and beyond with the traveler.  You may need to run
the sheets between the mast and inner shroud if running them between the
inner and outer shroud isn't enough.  It all depends on a multitude of
factors, but I usually get too much lee helm on a close reach when I have
too much Genoa out.

2.  At 15-20 mph wind it's almost time to reef in both sails all the way and
start the outboard.  Board down, boom down, 60% main, 60% Genoa, sheets
between mast and inner shroud.  You do need to heel around 15-20 degrees in
high winds to keep the boat moving into the wind.  I'm exaggerating the
reefing slightly for a 15 mph wind but not much for 20 mph.

3.  If you have enough heel and weather helm you can point higher than 70-75
degrees with the sheets in the outer tracks in 8-10 mph winds, but not much.
Watch other boats heading into the wind and look how tight they have the
mainsail and headsail pulled into the center of the boat.  You need to
balance your sails for your point-of-sail and wind speed by having the right
amount of mainsail and headsail, but you also need to balance your sails by
having them both point into the wind at the same angle.  BOTH sails should
luff about the same time.  It won't help if the main is pulled in toward the
center of the boat if you can't get the same angle with the headsail because
it's outside of the outer shroud.

One of the great joys of sailing is that it's so challenging.  Like
everything else you get better with practice, and experimenting with
different sail adjustments is fun.  In sailing, practice doesn't make
perfect but it does make better.

You certainly aren't timid about practicing in strong winds.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD