[Rhodes22-list] Recycled Boat Advice -- MOTOR ISSUE

Bob and Kathy Quinn bobandkathyr22 at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 3 13:38:30 EST 2012

"I bought a Suzuki 9.9 hp outboard (new.)  It's gawdawful heavy, so the
electric motor lift was a blessing.  Also, I don't think it runs right.  It
starts fine, but it wants to stall on acceleration, and it won't stay in
"flat out" running position -- it backs off a bit.  Once it's going, it's
okay.  I had a mechanic tear it down and he put in a larger valve of some
kind, but it's not improved much.   I think there must be better choices,
but I don't have much experience with outboards."

From the sound of it, you have a carb
problem.  Generally an engine that does not run at idle speed is a nemesis
for sailboat operators, as most of our maneuvering in tight spots only requires
idle speed.  In the past, when I have
experience similar issues, it has always required a carb rebuild.

Bob on the R22 "NoKaOi 3"