[Rhodes22-list] Cold Weather Sailing

Jay Curry jac2 at wavecable.com
Wed Dec 12 17:00:18 EST 2012

We began our sailing experience on the south shore of Lake Superior. Season
is June to October if you are lucky. I once launched in June and just made
it into the marina before a 1 mile square collection of broken ice shut down
the marina entrance for several days.

Water temps never got above the mid fifties except in shallow bays protected
from currents. The summer air temp often compensated for it, but even then
you often had to wear a winter coat under sail just to stay comfortable due
to cold wind resulting from the cold waters.

Our experience has been the same here in the northwest, but air temps seldom
compensate for the water temp since it is rarely above 70 degrees and always
about 60 near the water which is always in the low 50's. We ALWAYS wear a
coat under sail. Well, sometimes I take the coat of for a run and put it
back on for a reach. I have convinced myself that there is no sailing
without a winter coat and good set of gloves. It is the only way I can deal
mentally with all those pictures of absolute fantasy where there are
actually people sailing with no shirts on, beer in hand, heeling at 20
degrees, at 8 knots on a warm sunny day in calm shallow water over a sandy
bottom and warm enough to swim in. Wow.

On a serious note, I caution anyone on cold water sailing. If you go in or
just get soaked on board and cannot get warmed up quickly and completely you
could easily risk everything. I had many occasions on Lake Superior where I
had to go in the water for something or got wet on board. I heard from other
sailors who went in involuntarily. One was a woman on Lake Superior who had
the watch one night on an off shore run. She got pitched off her boat late
that night many miles off shore in 12 foot waves while her husband was
sleeping. She was tethered, in a survival suit and managed to get back on
board. Her husband slept through it. I have no idea if they are still
married. Many of the sailors we met there were women who won some very nice
boats in divorce settlements. My wife and I agreed long ago, what happens on
the boat stays on the boat.  And..... if the worst happens, I get the boat.

In water just above 50 degrees, you cannot breathe deeply for several
minutes and controlled movement is nearly impossible. The shock forces you
to tense up so bad you must just hold on to something or float until the
shock eases. Even then you risk dangerous hypothermia in just minutes.

Our preparations and planning have always included staying out of the water
and staying dry no matter what. Going unintended into the water here and on
Lake Superior has to be considered life threatening and you better be ready
if it happens. It is one of the primary reasons we chose the Rhodes. If it
happens in a boat that sinks and you are hours from rescue without a
survival suit..... it is over. In the Rhodes, if the worst happens, chances
are good we will be OK. Cold water is serious business. If you sail in it,
assume that sooner or later you will be in it and far from shore and help.
Have the right survival gear, take great care and don't let the alcohol
freeze.

Jay
Port Angeles