[Rhodes22-list] Wood Finishes

Philip Gauthier gauthi06 at yahoo.ca
Mon Feb 6 15:21:04 EST 2012

Well this question is coming up a year too early. I too have been looking for good wood finishes. If everyone had these questions next year then I’d have an answer. For now a lot of reading of products and reviews has steered me towards the 2 part urethane “Bristol Finish”. Recommended is 6 to 8 coats that can be applied within a couple hrs of each other. It as well is not cheap ($60 a quart) but all the reading I’ve done on the subject says that the quality of these products is directly relatable to the price. In other words you get what you paid for. I replaced the wood on the poptop for the hatch slides last year with Mahogany. I had access to it and it was easy to work with as I redesigned it somewhat. Finished it with Tung oil and that didn’t even make it through the summer. This year I have some nice pieces of Teak and this time will use the Bristol Finish. I’m not too lazy to oil a couple times a year, just too busy!! The only –ve I
 found for the product is it doesn’t like sharp 90 degree edges but I prefer everything with radius’ anyway. Far less chance of slivers. Other than that, it promises to get me through a few seasons before I’ll have to re-apply another coat. For anyone interested, here’s the link; http://bristolfinish.com/index/. I guess the next thing will be pictures in a couple months when I get it finished!! I’ve also decided to try “Poli-glo” on the hull this year. All polished up she still looks great but if I can make her “greater” we will!

Phil
S/V Raven