[Rhodes22-list] Fw: Instruments

Philip Gauthier gauthi06 at yahoo.ca
Mon Feb 6 18:05:10 EST 2012

This is a repost. Not sure if it went through the first time! Just a note, for those of us who do a lot of stuff on our mobiles, it would help a lot if people just posted their submissions instead of "replying" to existing posts. It would save us a "LOT" of scrolling. Thanks.

    Couple comments on instruments. I see people discussing prices quite a bit here. "YOU OWN A BOAT!!" By definition a "boat" is "a hole in the water, lined with fiberglass, into which money is poured into". Although the Ipad may be a nice gadget I tend to agree with Geoffrey. Stick with marine products if you plan to use them in a marine environment. Raven was purchased by us with a small Garmin chartplotter that was mounted in the companionway and for my own liking the screen was way too small. We replaced it with a Lowrance HDS7, mounted to the right of the companionway (along with the Garmin HD10 anomometer and the radio's ext speaker) and have been very happy with it. In the end you get what you pay for.

Phil Gauthier
S/V Raven