[Rhodes22-list] ...on spray foam and other musings....

Rob Granger rgranger at sbc.edu
Tue Feb 14 10:58:12 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Lowe, Rob <rlowe at vt.edu> wrote:

> Another alternative (discussed here previously) is a two part foam mix.
>  Not cheap, but might have some applications where Great Stuff may not work
> as well. - rob
>

> http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=111736&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50218&subdeptNum=50219&classNum=50223
>

> -

I've only dabbled in the two part stuff and then only as a lecture
demonstration when talking about polymer chemistry to my freshman.  It
seems like a very sturdy foam and I know you can buy it in different
densities so... It seems like a superior way to go.  I'd be curious to see
a cost comparison.  The Great Stuff big gap filler is about $5 can and
expands to less than 1ft^3.  So it is not that cheap either.  The two part
stuff says it expands to 2ft^3 but it does not say if that is for the
entire kit or for each "dose".  If it is for the entire kit then that seems
like a lot of money for only 2 cubic feet of foam but if it is for each
dose it may actually be a better deal over the Great Stuff foam.

To save money I use the spray foam in concert with scraps of styrofoam and
essentially glue the styrofoam together with the Great Stuff.  The
styrofoam is essentially free so you can save a lot of $ that way.