[Rhodes22-list] ...ventilation [on spray foam and other musings].

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Feb 16 10:03:00 EST 2012

Chris,

At least label it as a "groaner".  Oy!

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of Chris Geankoplis
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:53 AM
To: 'The Rhodes 22 Email List'
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] ...ventilation [on spray foam and other
musings].

Gee Peter,
	I'm a real fan of your solutions!

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of peter klappert
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:33 PM
To: The Rhodes 22 Email List
musings].

Another option is the Nicro day/Night solar fan. It can be mounted in the
fore deck over the rode locker (where it also draws off moisture from the
anchor rode). It's a compact & tidy addition on deck and doesn't get in the
way when you're at the bow. Given the small volume of the R22 cabin and the
amount of air that can come in even when the poptop is down & the companion
way closed, the Nicro provides great air circulation. It moves a lot of air
& runs around the clock because it has a rechargeable battery (which is
supposed to last 2 years). I got the 4" rather than the 3". I owe the
addition to Chris Cowie, who recommended it.
    The Airhead composting head uses a small fan to vent the compost; it
draws very little. Still, were I doing it again I might also add the 3"
Nicro there (on the cabin top).
    I had a boat cover made (eventually I'll post a few photos) & that would
cover a 2nd Nicro. BUT: I had vinyl windows added to the cover so that the 2
solar panels will function even when the boat is covered. I don't see why
there couldn't also be some kind of window & vented area in the cover for a
2nd Nicro.
     Ventilation is especially important because I keep Aeolia is Florida
where it gets hot & humid. I also added 2 circulating fans inside the cabin:
one where the bulkhead meets the cabin wall on the port side, and one in the
v-berth positioned so it can either push air into the berth area or flush
air from the head. Neither draws much power.