[Rhodes22-list] Floor Boards

cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Sun Jan 8 14:18:33 EST 2012

Bob:

Since I plan to coat the plywood with poly it makes sense to use a good
looking plywood veneer.  The labor will be the same for cheap or expensive
plywood and at one sheet even a 100% increase in cost isn't that much more
given the number of years I expect to get from it.  There are a number of
companies on line that make a variety of veneer products including teak.
http://marine-plywood.us/teak.htm  The shipping expense is considerable so I
will look to see what is available at a local lumber yard.  I suppose I
could leave the existing 1/2" hardieboard in place and cover it with a new
1/2" material but am leaning to replacing the existing with new 1/2" marine
plywood to avoid adding too much weight.  I surveyed the existing board
layout and found nine existing boards.  I suppose the quantity of boards
facilitates access to the centerboard trunk without removing all the floor
boards.  If I am replacing with wood to be covered with carpet then nine
boards may make sense but If I want a better looking wood floor then fewer
boards would be a better choice.  Enclosed are two sketches, existing
pattern and a compromise proposed pattern that uses fewer pieces.
http://old.nabble.com/file/p33103529/IMG_1208.jpg IMG_1208.jpg