[Rhodes22-list] source for insect netting

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Jan 10 10:28:05 EST 2012

Rod,

Here are a couple of posts from June of 2008.  I was thinking about draping
mosquito netting over the poptop and bimini and then tucking it in under the
cockpit seats.  I was surprised at how much netting was required.  For the
difference in cost it might be wiser to go with the Boom Room.

Thanks everyone!  As always, lots of good ideas.

I contacted this company:

http://www.usnetting.com/HTML/mosquito-net.html

For a 16 x 24 piece with grommets, they wanted $825.  The costs were high
due to the grommets and the need to sew pieces together.  For the money I’d
much rather tape/sew pieces together myself and use sandbags.

Lee

We’re actually thinking about spending a night on the boat and were
wondering what would be the best protection against mosquitoes.

Bahama Bill W. had a great idea by draping mosquito netting over his bimini
and then tucking it in under his cockpit cushions.  I have the bimini
without the poptop enclosure, but I was thinking about doing the same thing
over the bimini and poptop.

What would be the best means of securing the mosquito netting over the
poptop?  Secure it inside the cabin with cushions or whatever?  Velcro or
tie it around the poptop connection to the mast and poptop arms?  Secure it
under bricks or weights on the deck?  Secure it to the shrouds?

I’m concerned about gaps for the mosquitoes to gain entrance or that the
netting may get blown away.

Anyone know of where I can buy a one-piece section of netting large enough
to cover the cockpit and cabin?

Would mosquito repellent be easier?  What does everyone else do—just donate
blood?

If we ever get into cruising we would definitely want the poptop enclosure,
but we don’t want to buy one if we never use it.

Thanks!

Lee

1986 Rhodes22  At Ease

Kent Island, MD