[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Lake Erie July 2011

jimtracyjohnston at centurytel.net jimtracyjohnston at centurytel.net
Wed Jan 18 19:37:04 EST 2012

Ron, We sail our Rhodes-22 mostly on Torch Lake in NW Michigan. We have
easy access to Lake Michigan's East Bay and we do so on occassion. We
have enjoyed Mackinac Island and the North channel, however, our
exposures to the mighty Lake Superior were not pleasant.  The weather
change is almost instant. The distance from a safe harbor to safe habor
in Lake Superior is too often a long sail.  In an instant, you are
sailing with the view of a wave trough-to-crest with a brief glimpse on
the horizon. The trip through the Soo Locks is an experience you will
not forget.  If you want to trailer your boat to Grand Marais Canada it
is a short sail to the island and the safety of the ferry from the
mainland to the island is a factor. The sail from Michigan's UP out of
Eagle Harbor is about 48 miles. Isle Royal is wonderful! You can sail
around the island and get a new experience at each anchorage. Good luck
and be sure to report your proposed course and stay in communication
with harbors and other boaters in your area.  Jim & Tracy sail on the
LOON.