[Rhodes22-list] Ballast ?

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Fri Jan 20 15:43:46 EST 2012

Happy new year to all,

 I would like to get some input from the forum about Rhodes 22 heeling
characteristics. As the Rhodes is the only boat I've ever sailed on I have
no point of reference about how "stiff " the boat should be when the wind
approaches 10knts. The specs say a Rhodes has ~ 700 lbs ballast. I know the
centerboard is 100 lbs because I've weighed it. The shoal keel is
encapsulated concrete. Being and older boat the extra ballast in my Rhodes
is concrete and I just don't see 600lbs or so of it. I'm considering adding
2  100 lb lead bars, one on each side bolted into the bottom of the keel.
The lead will be appropriately sealed for environmental
concerns. Any and all comments are welcome.

John S

PS:  Rummys mountain picts are cool.