[Rhodes22-list] Chesapeake Cruise planning

Frone Crawford fcrawford0707 at aol.com
Sat Jan 21 15:52:29 EST 2012

Mary Lou - A great plan.   While we keep Sunday Morning at our condo in Avalon, we have taken her to the Chesapeake before and might do so again, but alas, not in time for your  2012 "Norfolk Northern" Bay trip.  When we had Sunday Morning refitted at Edenton about 5 years ago, we sailed her back to Avalon on the same route, but in more of a delivery mode than a cruise.   We took 3 days to get to Norfolk (overnights at Elizabeth City and the Dismal Swamp Canal visitor center) and then 5 more days to Rock Hall.   We split the journey, leaving her ( the boat, not my wife) in Rock Hall, then returned a month later for the final 3 days back to Avalon, via the C & D Canal, Del Bay and Cape May Canal.  We stopped at marinas each night, but your suggestion of splitting anchoring with docking makes a lot of sense.   We did motor more than you will have to with a more leisurely pace.  We carried a 6 gallon tank and refilled every other day ( Yamaha 8 horse 4 cycle).  Overall, it was a great time, with a typical Chesapeake Bay mixture of conditions ( it was late May when we left Edenton.)   Stan and Rose met us for a visit at the Dismal Swamp Visitors Center, as they spotted our boat while they were traveling on Rte 17.  (Rose had picked us up at the Edenton bus stop, as we had taken the overnight Trailways bus from Phila to Edenton, via Norfolk.)
    You will enjoy the journey, I'm sure.
     Frone Crawford, s/v Sunday Morning