[Rhodes22-list] Ballast ?

Slim Chance slimsails at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 16:16:39 EST 2012

John, don't do it. IMO, re-engineering and/or second-guessing the work of
Phillip Rhodes would be an exercise in futility at best and a possible
catastrophe at worst. Yes, the R22 is tender. Deal with it. Look at it as a
fun challenge. It's best to control the heal by utilizing the many controls
of the boat as is -- reefing, lowering the pop top, lowering the boom,
easing the traveler, flattening the sails and watch for the gusts coming
across the water and just as they hit, fall off a bit and ease the sheets.
Or do nothing and let 'er roll and hang on. Or some combination of the
above. I've dunked my rails and flooded the cockpit uncountable times with
no negative consequence other than an occasional spilled drink, which,
depending on the drink can be unforgivable. Worse yet has been a
coozy-overboard which necessitates a recovery maneuver.

Re, sailing in 20-30 knot winds; um, big difference between 20 and 30! At
20, there gets to be too much windage on the hull to tack across so you
wind up jibing instead but with that much wind, it's a bit dicey but
doable. If it's 30, why are you out there? I'm just sayin'...

Slim