[Rhodes22-list] Ballast ?

Chris Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Sat Jan 21 23:33:30 EST 2012

Hey other Rob,
You make some good and well thought out points.  I am assuming everybody is
talking about the same point of sail?  This being a beat of some sort?  You
do loose some efficiency with the roller furling headsail, even with a luff
pad.  I have sailed in as strong winds with a reefed jib and main without
too much difficulty, especially if I have a hefty companion along.
Everything is a compromise.  You gain the length, the beam, the great
accommodations and safety of positive flotation at the expense of a bit of
speed and a bit of pointing ability.  I don't race but cruise and have been
in some pretty impressive seas and winds over the last 35 years on my Rhodes
and never felt it could not handle the environment it was in.  I think when
you are finished fixing up your Rhodes the way you want it to be (but always
looking to fine tune everything) you will be a joyful sailor of a really
great boat.
Chris G
83 Enosis