[Rhodes22-list] Ballast ?

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Sun Jan 22 10:12:36 EST 2012

Capt. Rob,

 I don't believe any Rhodies on da list use hanked on headsails but I might
be mistaken. I believe Mary Lou uses a schaeffer furler which allows for
sails to be changed out as the Capt wishes. I have the same furler for that
reason but have not yet acquired a full suite of sails. This week I'm
sending the main back to the loft to add a 2nd reef point and convert to
full battens. You can roll the main on the boom on a R22 I have been doing
that for the last 4 yrs but partial battens do not lie flat on the boom so
you have to roll the main loosely to minimize creasing.  Full battens
parallel to the boom should solve that. Do you use a strap for a boom vang
when you are reefed? I think part of the Rhodes High wind limitations come
from the hull flair. I have felt the wind shoving the bow around when the
wind catches you on the beam.
I motored in one day in 25 knts and had to work at keeping the bow pointed
where I wanted to go. In 10yrs or so I'm thinking of moving up in size and
the point of all this is to make the admiral (and myself) more comfortable
when the wind starts to sing in the wires. I'm looking for an extra safety
factor
hence the ballast and 2nd reef.