[Rhodes22-list] Ballast ?

Rob Granger rgranger at sbc.edu
Mon Jan 23 12:39:47 EST 2012

 I have a roller furler system on the Rhodes I'm restoring but I was
thinking of abandoning it.   But another option would be to rig a second
forestay (a baby stay) and leave it disconnected and tied to the mast when
not in use.When the wind picks up, I could roll up the genoa, tie off the
baby stay and fly a storm jib from that.  I could even leave the storm jib
hanked and in a sail bag at the base of the mast.   That might give me the
best set of compromises.

I guess I'm thinking that most of our sailing occurs in less than 15 mph of
wind and the ease of a roller furled genoa has obvious advantages.. but the
thought of getting caught out in a blow with a poorly balanced rig
decreases the fun/risk ratio even when the wind is not piped up.

Any thoughts??????????