[Rhodes22-list] Ballast ?

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Jan 25 16:20:03 EST 2012

At 03:53 PM 1/25/2012, Rusty wrote:
>Perhaps so, IMF puts performance limitations on the main because it
>requires a flatter sail with with a smaller roach and no horizontal
>battens.
>
>I've always wondered why Stan didn't go with boom-furling, which allows a
>normal sail shape and battens (correct vang / boom angle is critical).

You are right about the performance limitations of the IMF main. Some
sail area on the leech is regained with the relatively new single
vertical batten sail. With the loosefooted main, you can regain some
of the curve of a standard main but not the placement you would get
if it was designed in. I would suggest playing with the outhaul in
various wind conditions (flatter in higher winds, more curve in
lighter winds, flatter upwind, more curve off the wind)

I'm not sure I've ever seen boom furling (except for the abysmal sort
where you roll the sail around the boom) on a small boat. I'm pretty
sure that when Stan developed the IMF, it was much more reliable than
any boom furling available. Heck, at the time, it was probably much
more reliable that the in-mast furling on many larger boats.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD