[Rhodes22-list] Ballast ?

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Jan 25 18:14:19 EST 2012

Who knew? I certainly didn't know these were available for small
boats. I've only seen them on big boats where the size of the boom
l(to accommodate the rolled up main) looks all out of proportion.

In case anyone is interested, here's a link to the equipment
http://www.profurl.com/fiche-A|PROFURL|MK0R-0204010000000000-theme-UK.html

and
http://www.profurlamerica.com/us/reefing-furling-systems/bomes.htm

The installation manual on the UK site gives you more detail.

A couple of thoughts after a quick look at it.

This might be of interest to owners of older Rhodes with standard
masts or to someone who wanted a new R22 with a battened main. Don't
know if it's more expensive than the IMF option.

It requires a rigid vang, installation of which may interfere with
the ability to raise the pop-top. Can't tell if it accommodates
end-boom sheeting.

It appears you would lose the ability to raiser or lower the boom at
the gooseneck - the first reef for those of us with IMF. And of
course this allows us to put the boom in the upper position to open
the poptop. It's also handy to be able to put the boom in the higher
position at anchor for easier movement around the cockpit. If I were
going with a system like this I would want the boom high enough to
clear the bimini and the raised pop-top.

There is a comment in the installation manual about keeping the boom
horizontal to avoid damage to the gooseneck. Not sure if that was
just during the installation - it may be a permanent issue in which
case it might require some disassembly for trailering.

In any event, it looks like an ingenious piece of equipment.
Certainly more complicated than the IMF but it would allow a fully
battened mainsail.

If anyone has read this far and is still interested in knowing more,
there's a detailed 2011 review available online from Practical Sailor.
http://www.practical-sailor.com/marine/boom-furling-systems-7036-1.html

Thanks for spurring the research.

Mary Lou