[Rhodes22-list] Chain plate

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Fri Jan 27 09:19:10 EST 2012

Goodnews,
There have been multiple posts over the years on loose stays.  Both Slim and I have had stays that have pulled out the chain plates and needed to be repaired.  I've got those saved somewhere, not finding them at the moment.  The chai nplates that enter the cabin roof are bent and are screwed to the plywood that makes up the cabin top.  You are correct, the cabin liner prevents access to them, we had to have access holes cut in the liner to gain access.  Some chalk may be a short term fix for now.  If you chalk, be aware that once you load that stay the chalk probably pull out.  Better to load the stay, then chalk so the chalk gets pulled into the cabin top.  My old boat was a 76 and did have some plywood rot.  There are whole posts on epoxy repairs.  Might try to search achieves. - rob