[Rhodes22-list] Charging Question

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Thu Jul 5 09:47:23 EDT 2012

David,
I guess I would suggest, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If you monitor your battery and it stays in the 12-13 volt range, then don't worry about it.  Your alternator is keeping up with your demand.  If you see the battery voltage starting to decline and the motor starts getting harder to turn over (I'm assuming electric start??), then you can add a solar or shore charger. Below is a standard voltage vs. charge state chart.  You are correct, you don't want to get below 50% capacity as it is hard on the battery.  If you start to drop to around 12.0 volts, more charging is called for. - rob

A fully charged battery should be around 12.7 volts.

State of Charge 	12 Volt battery 	Volts per Cell
100% 			12.7 			2.12
90% 			12.5 			2.08
80% 			12.42 		2.07
70% 			12.32 		2.05