[Rhodes22-list] I'm Wet! (no sex)

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sun Jul 8 11:41:40 EDT 2012

Joe,
If the water got in to the boat and then was sloshed around, that
could also account for the wet things in the cabinet. Once water was
in the boat, I would expect everything to be soaked from a
combination of wave action and condensation. As Rummy mentioned, on
Fretless, we do keep most everything on the boat in plastic (pictures
attached of storage in the galley and in the head). Just the
condensation, particularly in the spring and fall is enough to get
things pretty damp (but wouldn't account for 25 gallons of water).

The side ports should be fairly easy to test with a hose if you can
bring the boat into a dock. Also you said you have front opening
ports, were they seated properly and latched securely? The angle of
the cabin wall keeps those ports from being rainproof unless they are
securely latched and the gaskets are clean. We've had things get
pretty wet in the v-berth from an ordinary rainstorm when one of the
opening ports wasn't properly closed. If your v=verth stayed dry(er)
that's probably not a source.

If you indeed had 3 1/2 inches of rain up there (we got no rain in RH
though we did get some of the wind), it is possible that combined
with the straightline 50-60 mph winds (and higher gusts) that most of
the water simply blew in under the pop-top and/or the pop-top slider.
The pop-top usually does a great job of keeping water out of the
boat, but if the boat is heeled somewhat because of the wind, the
strong winds might drive water over the edge of the lip and as Mike
mentioned about sailing in the NC sounds, when you take repeated
water over the bow and up onto the cabin top, it sometimes gets into
the cabin. Because your boat is on a mooring and the winds were
straightline, I'm thinking that most of the action on your boat was
hobby-horsing fore and aft from the waves. that might have helped
water get under the pop-top or the pop-top slider as well.

Mary Lou