[Rhodes22-list] Lightning mitigation

Goodness spreadgoodnews at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 09:58:54 EDT 2012

If your boat mast is grounded then a lightning strike to the mast is not really going to happen.  Many carry jumper cables and when a storm comes up clamps to a mast fitting and toss the other end overboard.  A more clever solution is an internal grounding wire to a metal underwater through hull......however that through hull needs to be protected with a zinc or it will corrode big time and sink you.  I have seen lightning switches that you flip in a storm too.  On a dock on a lift, it would be smart to ground the mast to the actual ground, very little corrosion risk there.