[Rhodes22-list] jersey shore

Jay Friedland jsail1 at verizon.net
Thu Jul 19 08:45:43 EDT 2012

lynn,
Not sure if you remember when we sailed in my boat several years ago, especially remember your "dental floss quote".

Rob & I sail both together and solo, and I am now convinced the 135% is the best choice for our high winds on the lower part of Barnegat Bay. I am constantly using all of the features Stan has built in to adapt to conditions-reefing both Main & jib, dropping boom, traveler (pop-top almost always down, of course). This is especially true to compensate for solo sailing and the lack of well-positioned ballast towards mid-ship on the boat, and all to offset the possible loss of full diamond board centerboard in sometimes shoaled areas. The benefit is we sail when and where few other boats can. I use the boat both inside and out  in the ocean very often for trips to Atlantic City (Absecon Inlet) and Longport area (Corson's Inlet).

For depth sounder, a good fish-finder/sounder GPS has served me well for the last 10+ years (#178C).
.
I also take at least a trip or two ( with girl friend) every year for 2-3 days, and recommend the marine head, cabin lighting, 2nd battery, pop-top enclosure for a start from Stan. An extra gas tank, adequate stand alone cabin lighting and fan help. Jody (GF) has created a large mosquito netting (canopy mosquito netting @ Bed, Bath & Beyond) for setup with ring at the top to hoist high on a halyard, and fishing weights at the open bottom that completely wraps around the whole cockpit to keep it in place.

Hope to see you on the bay.
Jay Friedland
s/v Wanderlust