[Rhodes22-list] Solar Cell Replacement/Charger

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Mon Jul 23 13:54:57 EDT 2012

Charles,
If the solar panels are factory installed, they did not come with the
charge controller, but probably have a diode somewhere along the line  to
prevent the batteries from discharging. Diodes have zero resistance to  electrical
passage in one direction, but high resistance in the opposite. Solar
panels generate electricity when it's sunny out, but they can also discharge the
battery during times of cloudiness or darkness, hence the need for a diode
or  controller. My boat came with one solar panel and the diode was
installed next  to the water tank under the v-berth mounted against the  flotation
wall.
If I were still using a solar panel I would install the charge controller
to prevent over charging which can easily destroy a battery(s).

Rummy

In a message dated 7/23/2012 10:31:19 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,