[Rhodes22-list] Glorious Cruise or Ship of Fools ?

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sun Jun 3 16:56:54 EDT 2012

Congrats on the new boat and the plan!

Here are my thoughts on your trip:

Have good sources of weather information - both forecasts and
conditions. It's been really windy this spring and waves on the bay
can kick up to an uncomfortable level pretty quickly. You are getting
towards summer T-storm season and you need to know when they are
predicted and when they are forming.

When we were planning our leisurely cruise up the Bay (which didn't
happen for a lot of reasons) we were allowing for at least one down
day every 3 or 4 days.

Western shore is good most of the way (more services) but you want to
avoid the mouth of the Potomac when wind and tide oppose each other
or in higher winds. It can be quite dangerous. Eastern Shore is
prettier and less populated.

Get a copy of the Chesapeake Bay Magazine "Guide to Cruising the
Chesapeake Bay"
http://store.chesapeakeboating.net/p-1-2012-guide-to-cruising-chesapeake-bay.aspx

It's great for possible stops, good directions for entering most
harbors and info about services in every port

Fuel is readily available on the Chesapeake. In planning the Norfolk
to Rock Hall trip that we didn't take yet, we were planning on
carrying our usual 7.5 gallons. We have two 3 gallon tanks (with the
same quick attach fitting so we can switch between them) and a 1.5
gallon jerry can with spout for spare capacity. Height is an issue
with the tanks. When we bought tanks, a Honda 3 gallon tank would fit
under the benches but the Tempo 3 gallon tank was too tall. Get a
vertical measure from Stan on your boat. We used the two 3 gallon
tanks because they were easier to carry and refill off the boat so we
weren't tied to finding a fuel dock.

I think we figured very (very) conservatively that the 7.5 gallons
gives us about a 70 mile range at 4 knots. (2.25 hours per gallon x
7.5 gallons x 4 knots)  That's not quite the calculation you were
looking for but it was based on real time consumption (including
idling at the dock). We get less than that with wind and waves
against us and much more than that with the tide and wind with
us.  And obviously you get more miles if the wind is fair and you can
sail. We've had an unusual amount of south winds this year which if
it continues could be in your favor but as I say it's been really
windy. Fred and I generally try to do no more than 25 to 30 nm a day.
We find we're really tired after much more than that but more is
doable most days if you have more endurance than we do. If
thunderstorms are predicted for the afternoon we like to be anchored
or at the dock by 2 or 2:30 just to be safe.

Marinas we like include (South to North). Spring Cove Marina in
Solomans Island (Patunxent River), Slaughter Creek Marina (Taylors
Island, Little Choptank), Knapps Narrows Marina (Tilghman Island),
Shipwright's Harbor (Herring Bay), Hartge's (West River Galesville),
several in Annapolis, Swan Creek and Rock Hall Landing in Rock Hall,
Worton Creek Marina.

Favorite anchorages include (South to North), Hudson Creek (Little
Choptank), Rhode River, cove at the north end of Gibson Island
Magothy River, Swan Creek, Worton Creek, Still Pond (it's a little
tricky getting in but the directions in the cruising guide are good)
and Turners Creek on the Sassafras.

Planned (or possible) stops on our trip north would have included
Norfolk and/or Newport News, Cape Charles, Mobjack Bay, fishing Bay
Tangier Island, Smith Island, Deal Island, Solomons Island, Little
Choptank, Tilghman Island, Annapolis, Magothy & Rock Hall. Other
places of interest and possible stops were Onancock, Crisfield,
perhaps a spot or two on the Lower Potomac and Herring Bay. if we had
continued up the Bay we probably would have considered Worton,
Turners Creek and Chesapeake City.

Make sure you get a good understanding of the tides in the C&D Canal
and the Delaware Bay. Delaware Bay has a nasty reputation but I don't
have any first hand knowledge.

Best of luck! Keep a good log and take pictures! We expect a full report.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD