[Rhodes22-list] Newbie questions Suppliers/Anchoring/Sail Balance

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Mon Jun 4 14:31:34 EDT 2012

Hi Shawn,

Congrats on your launch...  you've got a lot of good times ahead of you!

1) I buy lots from Defender.com.  I don't buy from West because I shop
online and there is a West store in GA so I have to pay sales tax AND
shipping.  So that's a no go.  Have had good service and prices from the
following as well:

http://www.go2marine.com/
http://www.shipstore.com/
http://www.overtons.com/
http://www.sailboatstuff.com/
http://www.sailorsams.com/

My old boat does not have the anchor locker in front.  I have Danforth
style anchors, one hung on the bow pulpit and one hung on the stern
pulpit.  Rodes and chains are stored in perforated plastic baskets under
the cockpit seats.  From experience on our own lake (sounds similar to
yours) we don't really need the chain part on the rode.  Might help
anchor setting a little, but I think it just adds more weight and gear
with little benefit.  I may remove the chain this year.  Don't know what
the lee helm issue is...

--
Cheers!
John Lock