[Rhodes22-list] A Better Glorious Cruise

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Fri Jun 8 07:02:24 EDT 2012

Sometimes reality sucks. Glad you came to the best decision.

Rummy

In a message dated 6/8/2012 12:47:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
richard.arking at gmail.com writes:

I want  to thank everyone who wrote so many helpful notes after I broadcast
my  overly ambitious intent to pick up my recycled R22 in Edenton and
somehow  have a relaxing cruising experience while also delivering the boat
to  Brooklyn under deadline pressure to return to work.  Even after  weeks
spent plotting legs on charts of the entire route and reading far too  many
details in Waterways Cruising Guides ( I also had been enjoying   the
Chesapeake Guide you mentioned, Mary Lou)  I did not immediately  grasp the
magnitude of such a delivery trip. Nor, until the List responded  did I see
what was plainly in front of me- that a fine cruise could be had  by ending
up where one started and so being free meanwhile  to go here  or go there,
see this or do that and really just mess around in a boat,  getting to know
it and our own capabilities.  I realized why I had  been awakening at three
AM with dream intimations of disaster-  'got-to-get-there-itis'- on a rushed
delivery trip could lead to taking  stupid weather-risks. I'm sleeping just
fine since deciding my brother Bob  and I will launch from Edenton to cruise
and gunkhole in Ablemarle  Sound,  Pamlico too maybe, and end back at
Edenton.  Thanks for  helping me realize that long distance small boat
deliveries are for  trailers.

What I really want to create with my R22 are  moments on the water like
an October 2008 sunrise when I sat ,coffee mug in  hand, in the cockpit of a
Chesapeake bare boat charter we had overnight  anchored in a tributary of
the Chester River not far from Rock  Hall,Maryland, looking at the growing
light play over the flat water and  marshlands. It seemed so pristine I
wondered if this was what The New World  had first looked like,  if
Jamestown or the Roanoak settlement could  be right around the next bend. As
I watched the dawn I shifted on the bench  and realized that two mature bald
eagles were watching me, sitting like  bookends in a dead tree three boat
lengths away.  I felt so contented  to be allowed to float into their world
for awhile.
Donna and I enjoyed a short daysail out of Edenton with Stan in his
R22 in  2010.  I will ask Stan to help annotate my Ablemarle chart with
local  knowledge. Meanwhile,  has anyone sailed/explored these  Carolina
Sounds?    (I'm saving your Chesapeake recommendations  for another, longer
cruise, thanks)
Thanks, Richard  Arking, Brooklyn,  NY