[Rhodes22-list] IMF Boom Fixture Question

Shawn Boles shawn.sustain at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 16:11:28 EDT 2012

Hi Ron:

It is a boom car and you move it toward the mast to put more belly in the
main sail. Pull it aft toward the furling line cleat to flatten the main
sail.

I am a newbie as well and a frustrated one at that. I got Sweet Baboo in
May and so far have sailed for only about 10 hours - It is NOT supposed to
rain like this in Eugene at this time of year. No Fun.

So while I am waiting for good weather let me ask the list an extension of
the question.

 What are the modal settings for the sails and rigging at various wind
speeds?  I looked through the archives for some sort summary that might
enlighten me. but did not find too much. I have a 175 run outside the
shrouds. I know there are an infinite number of ways to adjust the rig but
am just looking for some sensible starting points under different wind
conditions in the 1-16 knot range.

Below  are my rough guesses - . Am I anywhere close?.

Cheers,
Shawn
s/v Sweet Baboo

Knots:

1-3 -  a drifter  - Force 0 & 1 (light air)

         Genoa 175,
         Boom up
         Main 100
         Fairleads forward
         boom car somewhat forward
         Traveler to windward
         CB Up?

4-6   - Force 2 (light breeze)

        Genoa  set to 150 (Number 1)
        Boom up or down depending on crew -
        Main 100
        Fairleads move midpoint
        Boom car moves aft
       CB adjust for heel
       Traveler to center

7-10 Force 3 (gentle breeze)

       Genoa  set to 150 (Number 1)
        Boom up or down depending on crew -
        Main 100
        Fairleads move full aft
        Boom car full aft aft
       CB adjust for heel
       Traveler to leeward

11-16 Force 4 (moderate breeze)
Genoa  set to 125  (Number 2 - clew is even with mast?)
        Boom down-
        Main 100
        Fairleads move full aft
        Boom car full aft aft