[Rhodes22-list] failure of mast step

Andrew Collins sailingvesselcarmen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 19:00:54 EDT 2012

Richard
Yes all of this had happened, the screws are short and will pull out if tje mast support starts to twist or lift.     You can and should change screws to SS. My tabernacle was deteriorated with radial cracks from the screw holes out and some chipping. I filled the holes with toothpicks and white epoxy sanded the top smooth, filled the chips with white epoxy, sanded again, masked the area and spray painted with white PU, re-drilled the holes and reinstalled the mast base bedded in white silicone. It wasn't all that much work and it looks fine. I know the bedding compound is supposed to be some other product, but the price was right.
Best
Andrew C
sv Carmen

Sent from mobile device.