[Rhodes22-list] Outboards

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed May 2 17:45:58 EDT 2012

Hi Rick,
Our old Honda - the one that died from salt corrosion in the cooling
passages - could be flushed with earmuffs. It was a big process to
tilt it, hang over the stern and reach to the end of the long shaft
to fit the earmuffs, get a hose on them and then start the motor. I
don't think we could actually do it. Where we are, the water is just
brackish so we figured we'd be OK with seasonal flushes when we took
the boat out of the water. We didn't adjust our process (never
thought of it) when we started taking a lot of weekends south to
saltier water. Motor was fine for 8 or 9 years before it finally and
suddenly quit. The passages were completely clogged. We decided that
ease of flushing would be one of our criteria for the new motor. The
flushing port on the Yamaha is near the top of the motor. You don't
have to remove the cowling, fit earmuffs or run the motor. I think
the newer Hondas have a flushing port as well but last I looked, you
had to remove the cowling to get to it. We flush the motor every time
we come back into the slip - it's that easy to do.

Mary Lou