[Rhodes22-list] Mast Stowage During Towing

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Sun May 27 14:10:46 EDT 2012

David,
I've towed with the mast setting on the stern rail several times,before I
bought the mast raising system (with the included mast carrier.) The
problems start when you get to the water and start to rig. I believe the
system was made to work as a system. With the mast on the carrier,the
angle of the mast makes the hoist work MUCH easier,as the mast is being
pulled up,more than it is being pulled forward. With the mast resting on
the stern rail,the forces are much different,the mast hoist has to pull
the mast forward a lot harder to get it to start to raise. This puts alot
more stress on everything involved,such as the forward chainplates,the
forward cleat,the mast hoist and line,the "foot" that the hoist mounts
to,but most worrysome,the mast step. The mast step is made to pull out if
something goes really wrong.On a new boat there should be plenty of
strength there.But with every year of use and/or not knowing what a PO has
done in that concern,your odds of success get less and less. I know I
wouldn't want to be cranking the winch,trying to get the mast off the
stern rail,when the mast step let loose. One more thing,it's alot easier
to handle the mast bundle with the roller on the mast carrier. The next
one more thing,it's easier to get things out of the cabin with the mast
more out of the way.

At least ,thats the way I see it.YMMV.

Jerry Lowe

Country Rhodes