[Rhodes22-list] Docking Issues

butterchurn amazingmisterx at gmail.com
Tue May 29 13:28:40 EDT 2012

As a new boat owner I am having docking isues in wind.  I would like some
suggestions concerning what steps to take in order to learn to do a better
job of it.  This weekend at Lake Erie it was quite windy.  We wanted to sail
but when we tried to untie from our slip the wind was so strong we couldn't
control the boat.  The wind was trying to blow the boat away from us.  Our
slip is has the wind blowing our port side away from the dock instead of
into the dock.  Perhaps we were trying to go out in too windy conditions.
We saw other sailboats out though they were at least 26 footers.

We don't want to use our Rhodes as a floating cabin, we got the boat to sail
it.

Anything you might suggest that might help us to get up to speed with our
skills?  Now once away from the dock I can sail no problem.  I just need to
get out and in.

Sometimes I feel dumb asking these questions, but I guess I can't learn if I
don't ask.

Ron