[Rhodes22-list] Docking Issues

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Tue May 29 17:17:04 EDT 2012

Ron,

 If your slip is deep enough ( more than 5' ) you will have more resistance
to side slipping with the centerboard down rather than in the up position.
You can also turn the outboard to help control the boat, sometimes the
rudder alone just isn't enough when you are going slow and approaching the
slip. 20 to 25 mph wind is quite challenging for a novice who is new to
boating in general. Stan suggests that over 30 mph. STAY HOME (especially if
the wind is out of the west or northwest on Erie, waves can be 5'-10' in
those conditions).  After 4 yrs of practice 20 - 25 mph of wind is still a
handful for me to dock and to much for me to handle when I'm sailing solo.
(maybe not this year with a 2nd reef on the main and 350 lbs of lead in the
bilge we shall see) Welcome to the learning curve.

Hope that helps

John S