[Rhodes22-list] Cleaning bugs etc....

Philip Gauthier gauthi06 at yahoo.ca
Wed May 30 08:24:14 EDT 2012

Good day. I too had (past tense) the problem of removing spider/fly poop from my deck. We went through
the excercise of mild scrub pads/brushes etc. Then one day while in Home Depot we came across a product
called "Daki". Not sure if it is available by that name in the States but it is advertised as an outdoor patio furniture
cleaner. Well this stuff just desolves the shit (for lack of a better word) off the deck with VERY little effort
using my deck broom and a bucket. That's the only thing I ever use to clean the deck now. Even full strength there
is absolutely no staining of the white deck, the hull gelcoat or anything else. Been doing this for 3 years and haven't
found anything else that even came close.

So now there's the topic of moving the mainsheet follower. I for one love it behind me keeping the cockpit more
free of lines. Most of our boat company aren't sailors so the less stuff in their way makes things that much easier for
me. This was a huge selling point when we bought the boat and would never think of changing it.

Trailoring- I always use the mast cradle to trailer and just ensure it is secured tightly to the stern rail. That being said,
I had an "incident" while trailering to the yacht club this past weekend. While on the highway we were frantically waved
over by another motorist. Turned out we had lost the passenger side outer wheel bearing. It was completely gone except
for the inner race. Couple more km's would have seen the wheel and my trailer part ways. TOOOO close for comfort.
We only have the single axle trailer so just a remender to put a bearing check on your list this spring.

Happy sailing!!!!
Phil, Daniel, and Raven.